b

Story of a Dilliwala fan


I will be honest here ,before ISL came into my life I never really followed Indian football scene. I was a big European football fan. The heroics at Istanbul made me a devout Liverpool fan.I have followed every game of the season for the last many season, have a large jersey collection, all in all you can call me Liverpool FC buff.

Even if the wait for the elusive EPL title is 28 years and counting , it has never deterred the spirit of Liverpool fans. There have been some amazing memories along way , the last gasp equalizer against West Ham by Gerrard crashing into the net from a distant 40 yards would remain my favorite memory. I was quite confident that Liverpool would be the only club I'll ever support! But something was coming that would change this opinion of mine forever.

A little less than 4 years ago Indian Super League graced the Indian audiences. Delhi Dynamos from the first moment of its initiation struck the right chord with Dilliwalas. Fan-friendly ticket prices assured that many football enthusiasts like me got their first taste of live footballing action. The atmosphere at the Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium is what football really feels like, it is always a party.

The fighting spirit of the Lions made me fall in love with the team. Over the last 3 seasons, I have witnessed some amazing games, the real close end to end stuff. That 35 yards out screamer from Milan Singh is still etched into my memory. You can point out that I really do love long range goals!

Last season Delhi Dynamos mounted probably the strongest title challenge, the opposition was blown away by the intensity and aggression of the team . Solid in defense and quick on the break, the style of play was a sight for sore eyes.

Going into the Next season ,things look even more promising as DDFC have tied up with Aspire Academy and have roped in the vastly experienced Miguel Ángel Portugal as the new coach. Coach Portugal will bring along his famous brand of football, which he recently termed as " smart possession , possession to win". Let's hope that the draft goes as planned and DDFC is able to gather up a team of dedicated and skilled players.

During the time span of writing this article, I have come to a self realization that for someone who criticized the domestic setup for football in the country and never watched a game of the domestic league to being an ardent supporter of DDFC and watching nearly all home games at the stadium or "The Den" as we call it, I have really come a long way.
Powered by Blogger.